R2D2 on God, 42, the Universe and everything else
  
  

tech

General technology topics

1 2 3 19

Free Hyper-v 2012 environment – that’s right,  FREE as in  free  beer!

download

I’ve migrated my home gear and labs from a 1/2 size rack to a single shelf.

DSC_2250

I won’t bore you with the details of moving from FreeNAS and ESXi to Netgear ReadyNAS and Windows 2012
Hyper-v free,  but here’s the ingredients :

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 3xx
2x Gigabyte BRIX (with Dlink usb gigabit Ethernet adapters)
Windows 2012 Hyper-v Free (now running and tested with the built-in continuous replication and failover,  no domain)
Dual Server (Dns and DHCP with full replication and redundancy)
Poweshell Hyper-v Manager (PSHVM30)
NTP(4.2.8)
TheDude(Microtik)
DeltaCopy(Rsync capability for backups and non-vm replication)
Corefig 1.1.3
5nine Hyper-v manager (release 6.1)

IMG_20160117_202437

 

This amounts to a fairly bullet proof set-up ( I also have two separate adsl lines with their own modems in bridged mode,  controlled via my Pfsense virtual firewall)

R2D2

Deployed this on my Netgear NAS and there is no info, so here you go

 

username = “[email protected]”, password = “$1$DZsJmM8J$kZVmvEJjahAa1S9njxDzb0”

 

You can use the literals above to log in first time, then create your own admin and remove the defaults.

 

R2

WordPress XML RPC API seems out of date

 

I was trying to work out the call format for posting to WordPress 4.x using the built-in XML API (from an Android app I’m working on ) and kept getting constantly an error. Yes, compiling, running and posting from the Android open source WordPress app was working just fine.

So me being the engineer I am I’ve fired up Wireshark on my server and captured both requests… turns out that the calls made by the native app are using a slighlty DIFFERENT API… go figure. Yet, not quite so obvious when you search for it…

FAILING CALL

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”iso-8859-1″?>
<methodCall>
<methodName>wp.newPost</methodName>
<params>
<param><value>1</value></param>
<param><value>user</value></param>
<param><value>password</value></param>
<param><value></value></param>
<param><value>post</value></param>
<param><value>draft</value></param>
<param><value>Test Post RPC title</value></param>
<param><value></value></param>
<param><value>Test RPC post Excerpt</value></param>
<param><value>This is a test post via XMLRPC SOAP</value></param>
</params>
</methodCall>

WORKING CALL
<?xml version=’1.0′ ?>
<methodCall>
<methodName>metaWeblog.newPost</methodName><params>
<param><value><i4>1</i4></value></param>
<param><value><string>user</string></value></param>
<param><value><string>password</string></value></param>
<param><value><struct><member><name>title</name><value><string>Test POST1 via RPC-XML interface client </string></value></member>
<member><name>wp_password</name><value><string></string></value></member>
<member><name>post_status</name><value><string>draft</string></value></member>
<member><name>description</name><value><string>Test POST1 content via RPC-XML interface client</string></value></member>
<member><name>mt_excerpt</name><value><string>Excerpt Test POST1 via RPC-XML interface client</string></value></member>
<member><name>mt_keywords</name><value><string></string></value></member>
<member><name>post_type</name><value><string>post</string></value></member>
<member><name>wp_post_format</name><value><string>standard</string></value></member>
</struct></value></param>
<param><value><boolean>0</boolean></value></param></params>
</methodCall>

HowdyTelstra-Dave

Have been battling this for quite a while on my new Telstra Dave device, as well as on my Samsung GalaxyTab10 2.

When attempting to use the default mail client with my Exchange Server 2003, it will try to sync, then crash. Repeatedly.

Net seems to be full off similar complaints about Android 4.1.x

“Unfortunately, Exchange Services has stopped”

“Corporate email (Exchange) not syncing after 4.1.2 update”

“MS Exchange fails with Android 4.1.2 Update”

“Exchange ActiveSync issues 4.1”

I’ve tried the disable sync/remove account/re-enable sync suggestion but didn’t work for me, so here is how I got it working… Continue reading

(via Slashdot)

chicksdaddy writes with news of a Proof-of-Concept exploit for the recent Android APK signature vulnerability. From the article: “Pau Oliva Fora, a security researcher for the firm Via Forensics, published a small, proof of concept module on GitHub that exploits the flaw in the way Android verifies the authenticity of signed mobile applications. The flaw was first disclosed last week by Jeff Forristal, the Chief Technology Officer at Bluebox Security, ahead of a presentation at the Black Hat Briefings in August. … The simple program leverages APKTool, an open source tool for reverse engineering Android applications — decompiling… Continue reading

1 2 3 19